The building housing our Leeds branch was built in the early 1900’s so that it could be used as a maternity hospital. The large building was perfect to keep separate patients in different rooms, and the Matron lived next door in the adjoining house. A little bit of trivia, Jeremy Paxman was amongst the last babies to be born there!
In 1958 the hospital turned into a dentistry practice for a short time, until a vet named John Saxton purchased the premises in 1970. John developed the building into an appropriate environment suitable for animal treatment.
Our current Clinical Director Brendan Clarke joined the practice in 1997 and became a partner shortly afterwards, taking over the running of the practice in 2003 when John retired. John had a very integrative approach also to veterinary medicine, and Brendan was enthusiastic, open minded and most importantly dedicated to animal care. Before coming to Towerwood Vets, Brendan describes himself as being sceptical about alternative and complementary treatments. However, since being shown the wonders a more complementary approach to both general pet care and the treatment of illness and disease in our pets, Brendan has a completely new attitude today.
The clinic as we know it today has had a few facelifts over the years, with the addition of a new surgical theatre suite and inpatient care facilities, as well as an expansion of the waiting areas to allow for separate dog and cat waiting areas, a requirement to maintain our Gold Standard Cat Friendly Clinic award. The practice has evolved to be as spacious and practical as we can get within the restrictions of this beautiful old building in the centre of Cookridge.